The ingredients in Greek Bubble and Squeak, and there aren't that many, work together in perfect harmony; salty feta cheese, juicy black olives, garlic, lemon and fried potatoes that are crispy on the outside yet fluffy on the inside.
Peppers or aubergines can be added to increase the vegetable count but otherwise it's best to keep it simple. This recipe came from the April 2010 issue of "Delicious" magazine but I've reduced the amount of olive oil as 125ml seemed excessive.
- Peel the potatoes and then boil them in salted water for 12-15 minutes until they just begin to soften.
- Dry the potatoes on a tea towel to remove any excess moisture before transfering them back into the saucepan and lightly mashing them with the back of a fork.
- Pour the olive oil into a medium sized frying pan over a high heat. Add the potatoes to the frying pan and then turn them to evenly coat in the olive oil.
- Cook the potatoes for around 10 minutes making sure not to stir them too much so that they develop a golden crust on the bottom.
- Turn the potatoes over and then add the garlic, onion and oregano to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add in the olives and cook for a further minute or two.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
- Scatter the feta cheese over the dish, season with black pepper and then serve immediately.