I find that cauliflower cheese doesn't really excite me so the pasta in this dish tries to address this and also make it more of a main course. The broccoli adds some colour and works wonderfully with the cheese sauce.
For extra carbs, serve with really good bread. We had Stromboli from Marks & Spencer which I would highly recommend.
- 300g pasta (large pasta works well, e.g. conchiglie)
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 small broccoli
- 1 handful mushrooms
- 50g butter
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 tbs cornflour
- 100g mature cheddar cheese
- 150ml single cream
- 250ml milk
- salt and pepper
- small handful chopped parsley
- a pinch nutmeg
- large handful breadcrumbs
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into fairly small pieces then boil (or steam) for 4 minutes until they start to become tender.
- Boil the pasta as instructed on the packet then combine with the cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms (if using). Divide into two 28cm oven proof dishes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then whisk in the plain flour and corn flour until you have a smooth paste. Add the cream, milk, nutmeg and seasoning, then once the sauce starts to thicken and bubble add all but a handful of the cheese and the parsley. If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk to loosen it up again.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta mixture then top with the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the topping has browned.