- 300gpasta(large pasta works well, e.g. conchiglie)
- 1 smallcauliflower
- 1 smallbroccoli
- 1 handfulmushrooms
- 2 tbsplain flour
- 1 tbscornflour
- 100gmature cheddar cheese
- 150mlsingle cream
- Salt and pepper
- small handfulchopped parsley
- a pinchnutmeg
- large handfulbreadcrumbs
I find that cauliflower cheese can be a little unexciting so the pasta in this dish looks to address this and also make it more of a main course. The broccoli adds some colour and works wonderfully with the cheese sauce.
Serve with really good bread - we had Stromboli from Marks & Spencer, which I would highly recommend.
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into fairly small pieces then boil (or steam) for 4 minutes until they start to become tender.
- Boil the pasta as instructed on the packet then combine with the cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms (if using). Divide into two 28cm oven proof dishes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then whisk in the plain flour and corn flour until you have a smooth paste. Add the cream, milk, nutmeg and seasoning, then once the sauce starts to thicken and bubble add all but a handful of the cheese and the parsley. If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk to loosen it up again.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta mixture then top with the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the topping has browned.