If you think of a pizza loosely as bread, tomato sauce and cheese then this version is about as healthy as it gets. The original recipe from Cook Yourself Thin (one of my favourite cookbooks because of its inventive ideas, not its low fat recipes) uses white pitta bread and low fat ricotta cheese. I prefer wholemeal pitta bread and I’ve never been able to find low fat ricotta in the supermarket so I use low fat cheddar cheese instead.
I like to load up this pizza with plenty of vegetables - you can use whatever you have in the fridge. Peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, fresh tomato, chillis, olives, onions, anchovies - all work well but my preferred topping, in addition to vegetables, is pesto. Half a teaspoon scattered over the pizza really gives the overall flavour a lift.
The quantities specified in the ingredients make enough sauce for two batches of pizza. The leftover sauce keeps in the fridge for up to three days, can be frozen or works very well with pasta.
- Wholemeal pitta bread
- red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 handful fresh basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat.
- Place a saucepan on a medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Gently fry the onions for a few minutes then crush in the clove of garlic.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes then tear up the basil leaves and add to the sauce. Add the oregano if using.
- At this stage I like to transfer the sauce to a blender to make it smooth then pour it back into the saucepan, but it's not a necessary step.
- While the sauce is simmering, chop the vegetables for the pizza topping.
- After the sauce has simmered for around 10 minutes, add the seasoning and taste it.
- Place four pitta breads on to a tray then generously spoon over the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle over the vegetable toppings, then follow with cheese and place under the grill (not too close to the heating element) for around 10-15 minutes. Once the vegetables have started to brown and the cheese has turned golden brown remove from the grill and serve with salad.