- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 red pepper
- 2 limes
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced
- 1 bunch coriander
- 100g grated mature cheddar
- 150ml soured cream (plus extra for serving)
- a bottle chilli sauce
I love discovering new ways to cook Mexican food; Nigella’s Mexican Lasagne was an unexpected gem and has worked its way into my rotation of recipes - I’m certain that Stuffed Tomato Tortillas will too.
The recipe comes from Jamie’s America and involves dipping corn tortillas into tomato sauce before either filling and eating them straight away or baking them in the oven. The idea of topping them with cheese that turns golden brown in the oven (like in the Vegetarian Chili & Homemade Salsa recipe) was just too tempting so that’s what I did. I was a bit perplexed about spooning sour cream over the tortillas before baking them but I wanted to stay true to the recipe and hopefully find a new topping that might work on other dishes. I’d previously discovered that Jamie Oliver’s creme fraiche / parmesan white sauce works wonderfully on lasagne or any baked pasta dish and this sour cream / cheddar topping is just as good for Mexican dishes - it must be the cream and cheese combination.
Another unexpected discovery: baked avocado is delicious (as well as being super healthy). It’s more subtle than my usual filling of vegetarian chili but the combination of peppers, avocados and lime is lovely.
I’ve added a red pepper to the ingredients list but it is optional. I had one in the fridge and thought it would accompany the avocado filling nicely.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Pour some olive oil into a saucepan and place it over a medium heat.
- Crush the garlic into the saucepan and fry it for a few minutes until it just starts to colour.
- Add the tinned tomatoes then squeeze in the juice from one lime.
- Simmer the sauce for ten minutes until it starts to thicken then season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the avocados then chop and mash the flesh with the juice from one lime and some salt and pepper. If you're using red pepper, slice it into cubes and stir it into the avocado mixture.
- Chop up the coriander leaves and finely slice the stalks.
- Spoon a little of the tomato sauce into the bottom of an ovenproof dish (I used two 28cm oval dishes).
- Put some of the cheese to one side for the final topping then fill the corn tortillas with the avocado mixture, a sprinkling of chilli, cheese and the coriander (stalks and leaves). Roll up the tortillas and place into the baking dish on top of the sauce then pour over any remaining sauce.
- Spoon over the sour cream, finish with the cheese and a few slices of chilli then place into the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese turns golden brown. Serve with more sour cream, lime wedges and salad.