However you eat them it's best to toast the crumpets before dipping them in egg and frying them otherwise they end up somewhat spongey. You could use any soft fruit with the maple syrup and frozen fruit works just as well as fresh.
- 2 eggs
- 4 crumpets
- knob butter
Blueberry maple syrup
- 1 handful blueberries
- 100ml maple syrup
- toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
- Toast 4 crumpets until they start to brown. Remove from the toaster and set to one side.
- Combine a handful of blueberries and 100ml of maple syrup in a small saucepan and heat gently until the blueberries start to break down. Remove the pan from the heat and set to one side.
- Heat a knob of butter in a large frying pan.
- Beat 2 eggs in a bowl then submerge the crumpets in the egg making sure that they're completely coated. Transfer the crumpets to the frying pan, holey side up. Pour any remaining egg into the crumpet holes.
- Fry the crumpets for a few minutes on both sides until golden brown then remove from the pan and top with the blueberry maple syrup and some toasted, flaked almonds (optional). Be careful as the syrup will be hot.