- 150gself-raising flour
- 150gcaster sugar
- 125gunsalted butter
- 2beaten eggs
- 300gcherry jam(raspberry works well too)
- 100gdark chocolate
- a pinchsalt
- 100gdark chocolate
- 100mldouble cream
- Glace cherries
This is one of the easiest cake recipes I've come across - all you have to do is measure out the ingredients, combine them, bake and you're done. The cupcakes look really impressive once iced - to ensure a glossy finish allow the topping to cool naturally; if you refrigerate it you'll end up with more of a matte finish (see photos) and lose some of the "ooh" factor.
Due to the volume of jam in this recipe the cupcakes are a little on the heavy side but this doesn't detract from their deliciousness. The photographed cakes were made with seedless raspberry jam which worked well, but cherry is the best, especially the kind with chunks of fruit. If you can only get smooth jam, you could cut up some cherries to scatter throughout the cake mixture.
The best thing about this recipe is the fact that I don't have to use my electric whisk. A good old fashioned balloon whisk is all that's required.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on a very low heat. Once the butter has melted add the chocolate. Leave for a few minutes then turn off the heat and stir to combine.
- Mix the beaten eggs, flour, sugar, jam and a pinch of salt until it all comes together into a thick paste. Add the melted butter/chocolate and give the mixture a thorough whisking.
- Spoon the mixture into a muffin tin that holds twelve cakes.
- Bake for 25 minutes then leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning the cakes out onto a cooling rack.
- For the topping: melt the chocolate and cream together in a saucepan (I use the pan that previously held the butter and chocolate to save on washing up), then leave to cool for a while. Whisk the topping until it starts to thicken and then when the cakes have cooled, spoon onto the top, using the back of the spoon to ensure a swirly, even finish.
- Top with a cherry and store in an airtight container.