- 1 cup (125g)self-raising flour
- 2 tspMatcha green tea powder
- a pinchsalt
- 2 tbsplain yoghurt
- 1 cup (250ml)milk
- small knobbutter
- Maple syrup or sugar
- lemon juice
- Matcha powder for sprinkling
The Vitalife cooking grade Matcha I purchased comes in generous 100g quantities so I’ve got a lot to get through. For my third attempt at cooking with Matcha I incorporated it into an already well loved recipe - pancakes. I made the usual pancake batter adding two teaspoons of Matcha and two tablespoons of plain yoghurt. The pancakes were lovely, light and fluffy with a fairly strong green tea taste. This is fine by me but if you’d prefer the green tea to be less dominant then add one to one and a half teaspoons of Matcha.
I like my pancakes topped with maple syrup and lemon juice but you could use whatever you like. Fruit would work especially well, in particular, bananas, strawberries or raspberries, but for me it has to be maple syrup; the sweetness works perfectly with the slightly bitter, pungent Matcha. If serving the pancakes for dessert then chocolate or vanilla ice cream would be a good choice.
- Add the flour, Matcha green tea powder and salt into a deep bowl. Stir until everything has thoroughly combined.
- Crack the egg into the bowl, add the yoghurt and a little milk and whisk until you have a thick paste.
- Gradually add the rest of the milk a little at a time while constantly whisking. I've found that by adding the milk slowly the mixture is less likely to form lumps.
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add a small amount of butter.
- Ladle out a little of the mixture into the pan. I like to make four small pancakes at once in a large frying pan but you could make large pancakes one at a time instead.
- Fry for a minute or so then turn or flip the pancake to cook the other side. Once both sides have coloured, slide the pancake(s) out onto a warm plate. Continue until all the mixture has been used up.
- Drizzle pancakes with maple syrup or sugar and lemon juice. Sprinkle a small amount of Matcha green tea powder over and serve immediately.