This is a great salad which comes together without too much fuss and is probably achievable in 15 minutes if you follow the instructions closely.
It’s helpful to get all the ingredients out before starting as there are quite a lot of them. I didn’t and I forgot to add the feta at the end but even without it the salad was tasty and satisfying.
A note for next time: the chicken breasts I used were enormous and I didn’t flatten them enough so they took longer to cook on the griddle.
- 2 × 200g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 heaped tsp tikka paste
- 4 chestnut mushrooms (halved)
- 4 spring onions
- 1 red chili
- 1 heaped tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- olive oil
- 250g ready cooked Puy lentils
- 1 ripe tomato (or a few cherry tomatoes)
- red wine vinegar
- large bunch coriander
- 2 lemons
- 4 tbs natural yoghurt
- 1 heaped tbs cashew nuts
- 1 heaped tbs mango chutney
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 naan breads
- 200g ready-to-eat baby spinach
- ½ cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 30g feta cheese
- Place a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Put the chicken breasts on a large sheet of greaseproof paper and coat with the tikka paste, salt and pepper. Fold the paper in half over the chicken and bash with a rolling pin until the chicken is 1.5cm thick.
- Put the chicken onto the griddle pan along with the halved mushrooms and cook for three to four minutes a side.
- Slice the spring onions and half of the chili.
- Put the mustard seeds and cumin seeds into a frying pan over a medium heat and pour in two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the spring onions, chili and lentils to the pan, squash in the tomato and add salt, pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar. Toss for a few minutes then turn off the heat.
- Put the stalks of the coriander into a liquidiser (I used my small Nutribullet cup) along with the juice of a lemon, yoghurt, cashews, mango chutney and turmeric. Blend until smooth.
- Once the chicken is cooked throughout, remove from the griddle along with the mushrooms and place onto a chopping board. Put the naan bread onto the griddle pan to heat up.
- Tip the spinach into a large bowl or serving platter, speed peel the cucumber and carrots over the top then scatter over the lentils and mushrooms. Slice the chicken, naan and remaining chili, add to the salad and crumble over the feta.
- Spoon the dressing over the salad and serve with the remaining coriander leaves and lemon wedges.