- 100ggrated cheddar cheese
- 2 slicesbread to make into breadcrumbs
- 1 handfulchopped fresh parsley(1tsp dried will do if you don't have fresh)
- 1crushed garlic clove
- 8 largemushrooms of your choice(Portabello are my favourite)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
These lovely, garlicky mushrooms are so quick and easy to make, especially as I usually have some breadcrumbs in the freezer. They work very well with lasagne or any other Italian dish and are a real crowd pleaser.
I prefer wholemeal breadcrumbs, which I can’t find in my local supermarket, so I put two slices of wholemeal bread into my blender instead. If you only want to make four mushrooms freeze half of the breadcrumb mixture once it has been combined with the cheese, parsley and seasoning for future use.
After making the stuffed mushrooms in Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals, I’ve added half a lemon to the list of ingredients. The lemon juice combines perfectly with the other ingredients and gives the flavour an incredible lift.
- To make the garlic butter, fry the crushed garlic clove in olive oil until it just starts to colour, then combine with the butter and a little parsley. It’s not essential to precook the garlic but I find it’s much less pungent this way.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the cheese, some fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and spread a generous layer of the garlic butter inside, then squeeze over the juice of the lemon. Top with the breadcrumb mixture and place on an oiled baking tray. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and bake at approximately 200°c for 15 minutes until the topping has turned golden brown.