After making the stuffed mushrooms in Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals (affiliate link) I’ve added half a lemon to the list of ingredients. The juice works brilliantly with the mushrooms and gives the flavours a big lift.
These lovely, garlicky mushrooms are quick and easy to make, especially if you already have breadcrumbs in your cupboard or freezer.
Two slices of bread make enough breadcrumbs for eight mushrooms but if you want to halve the recipe then freeze half of the breadcrumb mixture once it's been combined with the cheese.
- 2 slices of bread to make into breadcrumbs (around 100g)
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 75g butter (room temperature)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley or basil (plus extra to garnish)
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- 8 large mushrooms of your choice
- ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- Breadcrumbs: Blitz 2 slices of bread (approximately 100g in weight) in a food processor until you have coarse crumbs.
- Garlic butter: Mix 1 chopped garlic clove with 75g of butter and 1 teaspoon of chopped, fresh parsley or basil.
- Filling: Add the breadcrumbs, 100g of grated cheese and a drizzle of olive oil to a bowl and mix.
- Mushrooms: Remove the stalks from 8 large mushrooms and spread a generous layer of garlic butter inside each mushroom cap. Squeeze the juice from ½ a lemon across all of the mushrooms then fill each one with the breadcrumb mixture and place on an oiled baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 220°C (200°C fan) for around 15 minutes until the topping has turned golden brown. Sprinkle over some fresh parsley or basil and serve.