- 4whole jarred roasted red peppers
- 50gmature cheddar cheese, grated
- large handfulbreadcrumbs
- splash oflemon juice
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
This is an adaptation of Jamie Oliver’s stuffed peppers from his Moroccan Lamb Chop 30 Minute Meal recipe. I was intrigued by the peppers (more so than the main meal itself) because they took no time at all to assemble and they looked like they could accompany all sorts of meals.
Despite the super quick turnaround time for this side dish it is incredibly tasty. This can be attributed mainly to the peppers themselves as they’ve been pre-roasted and have a nice charred, BBQ-like taste. They are also soft and salty from soaking in brine so you won’t need to add any additional salt.
I like to serve the peppers with couscous, which I prepare as they’re cooking under the grill. Together they provide a light yet filling dish which delivers on both flavour and texture whilst taking no more than 20 minutes to make.
I’ve modified the original recipe slightly to include breadcrumbs, which I combine with the cheese and stuff into the peppers as well as sprinkling on top.
- Preheat the grill on a medium setting and oil the bottom of an oven proof dish that will fit all four peppers snugly.
- Remove the peppers from their jar and drain well.
- Mix the cheese and the breadcrumbs together then stuff each pepper with roughly a tablespoon of the mixture.
- Place the peppers into the oven proof dish and then squeeze over a little lemon juice (if using).
- Top with the remaining cheese/breadcrumb mixture then drizzle with olive oil.
- Place under the grill (but not too close to the heating element) for 10-15 minutes until the topping has turned golden brown.