This side dish is from Jamie Oliver’s Moroccan Lamb Chop 30 Minute Meal recipe. I was intrigued by the peppers because they took no time at all to assemble and they looked like they could accompany all sorts of dishes.
Despite the super quick turnaround time for this dish it's incredibly tasty. The peppers have been pre-roasted and have a nice sweet, charred taste as well as being soft and salty from soaking in brine so you won’t need to add any additional salt.
I like to serve the peppers with couscous, which I prepare as they’re cooking under the grill. Together they provide a light yet filling dish which takes no more than 20 minutes to make.
I’ve modified the original recipe slightly to include breadcrumbs, which I combine with the cheese and stuff into the peppers as well as sprinkling on top.
- 4 whole jarred roasted red peppers
- 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- large handful breadcrumbs
- splash of lemon juice
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat the grill on a medium setting and oil the bottom of an oven proof dish that will fit all four peppers snugly.
- Remove the peppers from their jar and drain well.
- Mix the cheese and the breadcrumbs together then stuff each pepper with roughly a tablespoon of the mixture.
- Place the peppers into the oven proof dish and then squeeze over a little lemon juice (if using).
- Top with the remaining cheese/breadcrumb mixture then drizzle with olive oil.
- Place under the grill (but not too close to the heating element) for 10-15 minutes until the topping has turned golden brown.