It struck me that I’ve been lazy with categorising recipes and I’m sitting on some decent vegan recipes (which are now tagged). My favourites, in no particular order, are:
- Anna Jones’s Ribollita (pictured)
- Anna Jones’s Sweet Potato Dhal
- Nigella’s Cuban Black Beans
- Meera Sodha’s Chana Masala
I’ve added a new tag, ‘vegan-adaptable’, for recipes where tweaking one or two ingredients will result in the dish being vegan, such as:
- Patak's Sweet and Sour Madras Paneer Curry
- Dishoom's Gunpowder Potatoes
- Tarka Dal
- Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals: Daal Curry
- Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals: Keralan Veggie Curry
- Thai Red Curry with Tofu and Thai Basil
- Pad Thai with Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Black Kale Pesto
- Anna Jones’s Raw Brownies
- Panasonic Bread Maker Cinnamon Pecan Rolls
I recently made Tarka Dal for a vegan friend and thought, "surely this needs butter", but it was perfectly decent without. For baking, I find that Pure sunflower spread is a good bet and doesn't have an overwhelmingly margarine-y taste to it unlike Flora dairy-free or Vitalite. I want to try Pure Dairy Free Buttery Taste spread and will update this post once I've baked with it.
Finally, another great vegan go-to that's not on this blog, is Nigella's Cauliflower and Cashew Curry. It's a Thai-Indian hybrid (I love a hybrid curry) and I made it countless times before realising that it's vegan. The recipe intro, which isn't on Nigella's website, makes me laugh because Nigella is emphatic about the recipe serving two:
"I should say that I once made this for 4 people, and nearly hyperventilated as I saw the first 2 fill up their plates, and feared how meagre the portions would be for the 2 of us remaining. Besides, you cannot in all seriousness suggest that a quarter of a cauliflower is really enough for one person's supper: this is not a vegetable accompaniment; it is the main event."
I couldn't agree more because I had the exact same experience when I made Anna Jones's Lime and Chipotle Black Bean Tacos - another cracking vegan-adaptable recipe (once you one-and-a-half times the black bean filling).