I've just added Bon Appétit's Sesame Tofu with Broccoli recipe to the blog and I can't recommend it enough. I've lost count of how many times we've made it but we're into our second jar of tahini, which we only use for this dish.
It struck me that I’ve been lazy with categorising recipes and I’m sitting on some decent vegan recipes (which are now tagged). My favourites, in no particular order, are:
- Bon Appétit's Sesame Tofu with Broccoli
- Anna Jones’s Ribollita (pictured)
- Anna Jones’s Sweet Potato Dhal
- Nigella’s Cuban Black Beans
- Meera Sodha’s Chana Masala
I’ve added a new tag, ‘vegan-adaptable’, for recipes where tweaking one or two ingredients will result in the dish being vegan, such as:
- Patak's Sweet and Sour Madras Paneer Curry
- Dishoom's Gunpowder Potatoes
- Tarka Dal
- Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals: Daal Curry
- Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals: Keralan Veggie Curry
- Thai Red Curry with Tofu and Thai Basil
- Pad Thai with Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Black Kale Pesto
- Anna Jones’s Raw Brownies
- Panasonic Bread Maker Cinnamon Pecan Rolls
I recently made Tarka Dal for a vegan friend and thought, "surely this needs butter", but it was perfectly decent without. For baking, I find that Pure sunflower spread is a good bet and doesn't have an overwhelmingly margarine-y taste to it unlike Flora dairy-free or Vitalite. I want to try Pure Dairy Free Buttery Taste spread and will update this post once I've baked with it.
Finally, another great vegan go-to that's not on this blog, is Nigella's Cauliflower and Cashew Curry. It's a Thai-Indian hybrid (I love a hybrid curry) and I made it countless times before realising that it's vegan. The recipe intro, which isn't on Nigella's website, makes me laugh because Nigella is emphatic about the recipe serving two:
"I should say that I once made this for 4 people, and nearly hyperventilated as I saw the first 2 fill up their plates, and feared how meagre the portions would be for the 2 of us remaining. Besides, you cannot in all seriousness suggest that a quarter of a cauliflower is really enough for one person's supper: this is not a vegetable accompaniment; it is the main event."
I couldn't agree more because I had exactly the same experience when I made Anna Jones's Lime and Chipotle Black Bean Tacos - another cracking vegan-adaptable recipe (once you one-and-a-half times the black bean filling).